Dec 8, 2010

Celebrating my birthday -- with an equation

Inevitably, each year on my birthday, the students (and my kids) want to know how old I am.
Although I am not adverse to sharing my age, I never tell them directly. Instead I make some sort of math problem which has an answer that is equal to my age.  Sometimes I even try to throw in a pattern or some number series, if possible.
Here is this year's birthday equation:
(3 x 4) + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8


Then, whenever a student has figured it out, I will tell him or her not tell until tomorrow, so everyone has a chance to figure it out. Who knows if they do, but they do have meaningful discussions about the numbers.  My birthday equation 2 years ago looked like this:
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8

but I added this equation:
(1 x 2 x 3) + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8

I heard one group of kids make the observation that "Of course they equal the same, because no matter what you take times 1, it is the same number!" Referring to the part of the problem in parentheses.  Another student pointed out that this equation also worked with out the one:

(2 x 3) + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8

One year, I had the students take a few minutes and see how many problems they could write with my age as the correct answer. This was a meaningful task for all as the students would work at their own level, and each could have a correct answer. We posted them on the board and a number of students added new ones throughout the day.

How do you celebrate your birthday?

No comments:

Post a Comment